With our upcoming trip (2 weeks!), I know that we'll be touring a little differently than our most recent trips. So far with Noah, we make sure to hit all the attractions that Noah can enjoy and than use Rider Swap for all attractions that Noah isn't big enough for yet. But, this trip will be different. Basically, I can only ride the attractions that Noah can and even a few of those are considered off limits.
Here is the list of attractions that are recommended to skip for pregnant women:
- Splash Mountain
- Space Mountain
- Big Thunder Railroad Mountain
- Tomorrowland Indy Speedway
- Expedition Everest
- Primeval Whirl
- Kali River Rapids
- Kilimanjaro Safari
- Test Track
- Mission: Space
- Tower of Terror
- Rock 'n Roller Coaster
- Star Tours
And my guess - Sum of all Fears and the Disney Quest rides are probably good to skip as well..
Obviously, there have been women to ride several of these successfully, but I tend to be a bit over cautious, so I'll skip most of these! I had originally thought about Safari and figured "that's not so bad" but after talking to my midwife (who I regularly see for my prenatal appointments) I've decided to skip. She actually grew up in the Congo (real Africa? craziness!) and had a friend who had major complications after a bumpy ride on a back road. So, I'll skip that one this time.
Animal Kingdom does become a bit obsolete to us Preggers, but seeing as it's Adam's favorite park, we're still going to spend some time there. After all, we have a breakfast ADR at Tusker House and I really want to see the Festival of the Lion King
- Take breaks - during our June '09 trip, we took daily nap/pool breaks. This time, we may not go back for naps every day, but I'm sure I'll be sitting a lot more than usual and going to sleep earlier at night
- Stay hydrated - even when it's cool/cold outside, it's incredibly important to stay hydrated! Drink up! Water preferred to carbonated/caffeinated beverages, but I was told once by a nurse that Icee's are perfect for pregnant women - ice and sugar! So, we may be stopping to try some of those new slushee type drinks!
- Bring/buy healthy snacks - WDW is behind Disneyland in healthiness of food and snacks, but there are several places to buy fruit and veggies for snacks or as sides instead of french fries. Don't get me wrong - I'm sure I'll enjoy a few serious treats, but I do also know we both need our vitamins from actually healthy food!
- Wear comfortable shoes - this is a no-brainer for me. Whether you've had some swelling or not, the likeliness is so much higher when you're pregnant, you don't want to exacerbate any problems by wearing shoes/clothes that don't allow for good circulation!
- Consider a belly support belt - Depending on how far along/big you are, these can be very helpful to relieve lower back or lower abdominal pain. I wear mine for running and I'm sure I'll pack mine for long touring days!
I'm sure there are more tips, but this is what I've got! What are some of yours? Have you braved the parks while pregnant?