Welcome to those of you joining me from DISTherapy and those of you just hopping aboard. I am the 3rd stop on our special edition Magical Blogorail.
Shortly after my #DisneySMMoms #DisneyontheRoad #DC experience (yes, those hashtags are a must), I wrote a complete overview of my experience. It's hard to describe the experience as a whole and the aftermath was even more exciting.
I had never been to a Social Media conference of any type and going to one hosted by Disney, even though it had little to do with Disney, was more exciting that I can even convey. Seriously - I was there for maybe 5 hours but feel like I actually learned something. And with that, I want to share some of the major points that really hit home for me (though the woman selling faux-fur casts/boots didn't really inspire me as much as some of the others).
From Jennifer Labit, owner/creater of Cotton Babies/bumGenius/Flip/Econobum cloth diapers:
- Who am I? What is most important?
- Have a plan and know what you want to do
- Change and try to fix one thing at a time so you can control the process
- Never, ever, ever quit
- We can be moms and we can run companies
- Be willing to fail
- You can't know if you never ask
From Maria Bailey, the host of the event, over of BSMedia, @MomTalkRadio on twitter, supermom/amazing entrepreneur:
- Don't be afraid to ask for money
- Change with the times - rebranding is okay
- Stay ahead of the copiers
- Ask google to tell you more
- Perform a time audit on self and business
- Spend time like you spend money
- Consider each second as $1. You only have so many in a day - is it really worth your time to do x, y, or z
- Look in the whites of your kids eyes when they are talking - don't always be focused on everything else
- Don't do for a teenager what they can do for themselves
- Consider guilt free self care as a part of the Business Strategy
|Me along with Maria Bailey|
From the panel of local momtrepreneurs:
- Sell a product other than your time
- Find your own product to sell
- Best way to grow is by reinvesting - avoid loans
We also had a fantastic presentation from Michelle Stepney - though her focus on television media/interviews applies much more to my day job than this blog!
And a fun-filled Disney Parks/Sea overview with Gary Buchanan, Disney Parks Social Media Managing Editor. He talked about:
- New Fantasyland - loved it (mostly)
- Test Track ReDesign - it was up while we were there, but didn't get a chance to ride it
- Splitsville Luxury Lanes - bowling at Disney? Our trips are not long enough for that!
- Limited Time Magic - How about some Dapper Dan Boy Bands?
- Star Wars Weekends - those guys really give me the creeps!
- Carsland (new?) and more!
|notice the pictures of Carsland and Art of Animation|
I had already heard of everything he talked about, including the brand new Disneyland stage production Mickey and the Magical Map and the updated Fantasy Faire in DL Fantasyland, but have no clue when I'll get a trip out to the left coast. Maybe the big #DisneySMMoms next spring? I wouldn't complain about that!
Even though @Gary_Jerry didn't give an entirely new-to-me spiel, I hung on every word and LOVED starting my day talking Disney! My only disappointment was that I didn't get a chance to chat with him, as he disappeared before the end of the event. Again, maybe in the spring ;-) I won't really keep my hopes up, but a girl can dream, right?
Thank you for joining me today. Your next stop on the Magical Blogorail Loop is The Disney Kids
Here is the map of our Magical Blogorail should you happen to have to make a stop along the way and want to reboard:
1st Stop ~ Capturing Magical Memories
2nd Stop ~ DISTherapy
**3rd Stop ~ Disney Babies Blog** You are here**
4th Stop ~ The Disney Kids
5th Stop ~ The Disney Point
Final Stop ~ Delightfully Disney