Wednesday, July 31, 2013
Monday, July 29, 2013
New Fantasyland has brought the creation of several new areas - and even new restrooms!
Did you know:
The Tangled Toilets
And honestly, I rarely have much to say when I meet characters - we're goading the boys to say hi, smile, etc... but, not actually interacting with them ourselves.
But, if you were following on facebook, twitter, or instagramhttp://instagram.com/disneybabiesjenn over the weekend, you might have noticed that my husband spent a few hours in the Magic Kingdom all by himself. In my honor, he met a couple of my absolute favorites: Peter Pan and Wendy Darling!
Adam: "Does anyone smell something?"
Peter: "What do you smell?"
Adam: "Maybe... codfish?"Peter ran away after that.
Adam - to Wendy - "It's okay! I heard a tick-tock"
Wendy - to Peter - "Peter, come back! The croc is on the way!"Peter came back with that!
Now, for those of you who don't know my husband (i.e. 99.9% of readers), he is very quiet and usually laughs at me when I make conversation with random people, so this was not his norm, but I LOVE that he did it!
Next time you're meeting a character, think for a minute to give them something great to say!
Friday, July 26, 2013
The outside boardwalk and in the resort are designed to look like turn of the 20th century oceanside NJ - a little bit of Atlantic City, Margate, Cape May, and several of those ocean-side towns.
Well, lucky for me - we have family up in that area in New Jersey so try to get up there to visit once a year or so (used to be more before kids... I'm seeing a trend).
Take a look at the houses right off the beach - the style is dead on!
Did you ever hear that the Imagineers originally wanted a Ferris Wheel or Roller Coaster, similar to the Steel Pier on the Boardwalk? It didn't work for a variety of reasons. BUT, ferris wheels and roller coaster are a stable on these Boardwalks!! N - my Phineas - LOVED the coaster we rode on together at the Boardwalk in Ocean City.
The Boardwalk is a nice place to stroll - though not necessarily as clean as the Disney version!
Tuesday, July 23, 2013
Packing for a road trip or flight with little ones..can be tricky. Keeping them entertained, making sure they have plenty to do, wear, eat. They need toys to play with, blankets for soothing, food for snacking - they need a lot to make the trip as easy and comfortable as possible.
Whether we travel by air or car, there are a few major must haves - while it is easier to pack more for a car trip, sometimes the car trips take longer/allow for fewer potty breaks, so have their own issues!
- Bottles/formula/milk/water/sippy cups - even the TSA makes exceptions for traveling babies!
- Snacks - my favorites are Go-Go Squeez or anything in my Refillable Yummi Pouches, goldfish (which fit perfectly in my reusable bags), cheerios, and a few 'special' treats like gummies for when we really need a distraction
- Wipes (for kids in diapers OR out of diapers - always good to have something to clean up a mess)
- Tissues/boogy wipes
- Change of clothes (more than 1 if newly potty trained)
- Bibs (if used)
- Medicine/Pain Reliever
- Hand/Surface sanitizer
- Baby Carrier - a must in the airport for small ones!
- Movies - tablet/dvd player/headphones... if they're old enough, it's a lifesaver!
- Books - touch and feel/search and find/lift the flap - always big hits
- Coloring books - We love color wonder
- Toys - for young ones, lights and sounds are great. For bigger ones, choose new/exciting versions of their favorites! A new $.99 matchbox car goes a long way on a trip!
- Comfort animals/blankets - a new plush or an old favorite. Or maybe a favorite blanket, pacifiers (extra if you're going that route)
Make the trip special!
Monday, July 22, 2013
FantasiaOne of my favorite (hey, I'm a classically trained musician during my day job) Disney movies. In honor of my 1 year old (who I'm going to start calling Ferb)'s first viewing, I decided to look up some more trivia.
General Fantastia Trivia:
- Walt Disney expected Fantasia to be a huge success and be updated regularly (60 years isn't regular)
- The Philadelphia Orchestra with Maestro Leopold Stokowski was the original orchestra. A 1982 re-release was re-recorded thanks to better recording technology. However, in 1990 for the 50th re-release, they cleaned up the original recording as best as possible.
- The images of the dinosaurs, used in Igor Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, was later used in the Disneyland Diorama "Primeval Whirl"
The animators secretly modeled elements of the Sorcerer in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" on their boss, Walt Disney. The raised eyebrow was regarded as a dead giveaway. They call the character Yen Sid, which is "Disney" spelled backwards.
|Picture from modernmouseradio.com|
*I found my trivia and so much more at IMDB.com*
The newly designed KidCo PeaPod Plus is here! This convenient travel bed offers peace of mind to parents trekking with kids. A lightweight mesh surround provides increased air flow while a large front zipper panel makes access to your child effortless. The Micro-Lite sleeping pad comes firmly secured to the outer bottom of the PeaPod Plus with snaps, but is easily removable for cleaning or packing.
The PeaPod Plus also has great features for outdoor use including UV protection, anchor straps, adjustable sun screens, and an inner mesh zipper panel perfect for keeping insects out! This handy bed also quickly folds for storage inside its own bag and fits into your luggage, making it perfect for visits or long trips.
I bought one of these for my first trip to Florida when
The PeaPod Plus accommodates children from 1-5 years of age. It comes fully assembled with a Micro-Lite sleeping pad already attached to the floor. This feature rich model also boasts two large zipper panels, lightweight mesh for great airflow, adjustable window screens, anchor straps, UV protection and a storage/carry bag. - See more at: http://www.kidco.com/products-page/peapod-plus/#sthash.QBqxRUIH.dpuf
Open to the US & Canada Residents. Ends 8/5/13 at 11:59 PM EST.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Disclosure: Housewife on a Mission received the KidCo PeaPod Plus at no cost in exchange for her honest opinion. I have not received any compensation for hosting this giveaway. The participating bloggers are not responsible for prize fulfillment.
Thursday, July 18, 2013
Time in the Parks
|Be welcomed to the Magic Kingdom by a Character of Main Street!|
Extra Magic Hours
Single Rider Line
- Expedition Everest
- Rock and Roller Coaster
- Test Track
Wednesday, July 17, 2013
We are so excited to once again share an opportunity to win a collection of great products from some wonderful companies! Our New Baby Welcome Package has everything you need for your little one's entrance into the world — from feeding, to sleeping, to soothing, and even playing and learning new motor skills! One lucky momma who wins this giveaway will be all set for her little one's precious needs.
Yummi Pouch - Reusable Food Pouches
Little Munchkin Set - Retail Price: $28.95
The Little Munchkin set has everything you need to get started with using Yummi Pouches! Yummi Pouch reusable food pouches are perfect for filling with homemade baby food, blended snacks, healthy smoothies, and more. Designed by a husband a wife team, Yummi Pouches are dishwasher and freezer safe, BPA-free, phthalate-free, easy to fill and clean through the wide zipper opening, and encourage healthy snacks for active kids! For more information visit yummipouch.com.
- Set of 6 Yummi Pouch reusable food pouches - hold up to 6oz each
- 16oz filling funnel pitcher
- 10 dishwasher safe name label stickers
- 2 decorative dishwasher safe sticker sheets
- 6 mixed color extra pouch caps
Buttons Cloth Diapers
Buttons Cloth Diaper Set - Retail Price:
6 covers and 12 daytime inserts (small or large)
Buttons Diapers feature soft, leak-proof, and durable diaper covers. The double-gussets around the legs keeps the mess in, so your little one can run, jump, climb, and sleep while your mind is at ease. Elastic at the back and tummy makes a custom fit. The durable snaps allow the covers to adjust to fit any baby (approximately 9-35 lbs.). And, they come in five adorable colors! For more information visit buttonsdiapers.com.
2 Red Hens
2 Red Hens Studio Coop Carry-All Diaper Bag -
Retail Price: $70
Custom-designed, highly functional bowling bag style diaper bags. When not in use as a diaper bag mom can use as an overnight bag. Includes extra-long changing pad in 2 Red Hens signature red dot pattern.
Available in 5 custom designed vintage-inspired patterns: Chevron Stripes, Grey Damask, Peacock Mum, Pink Lemonade and Owl Dots.Based in Denver, Colorado, 2 Red Hens Studio was founded in 2011 by designer and resident 'Mama Hen' Lori Holliday. The 2 Red Hens Studio collection of Vintage Chic Inspired Items for Modern Mamas include diaper bags, the Toy Nanny, Shopping Cart Nests, and a range of accessory items. Limited edition handcrafted one-of-a-kind diaper bags and dolls are also offered. For more information visit 2RedHens.com.
4-in-1 Nursing Shawl, Brown - Retail Price:
Use as pregnancy poncho, nursing cover, stroller/carseat canopy, lightweight blankie. Comes in a matching, drawstring carrying pouch. Machine wash/dry. One size fits all.
Gl'oved-Sleeve Overall & Cute Cap - Retail
Size: newborn - 24 months. Machine wash/dry; winner picks color.
Kushies Zolo Linko Toy - Retail Price: $33.99Kushies Baby - Based in Ontario, Canada, with U.S. headquarters located in Niagara Falls, New York, Kushies® creates and provides an innovative collection of quality baby products and accessories. Trusted by moms since 1987, Kushies offers more than 350 superior baby products including stylish layette and playwear, washable diapers, the award-winning Kushies Zolo toy collection and a broad range of baby essentials. The worldwide market leader in reusable cloth diapers and accessories, Kushies takes great pride in operating as a responsible company and as an environmentally concerned member of our planet. For more information visit kushiesonline.com.
- Look! Feel! Chew! Connect Linko shapes together to create a love chain!
- Easily attaches to other Kushies Zolo baby toys with signature clips.
- Age: 0+ months
- Contains: 4 Textured teething rings, 4 hold-together rings, 3 plush characters, and 6 signature rings for easy attachment.
- Encourages: Visual development, flexible thinking,dexterity, tactile stimulation.
Oh, That Baby! Ltd.
Toofeze Baby Teether - Retail Price: $19.99Toofeze® is a functional, durable, and all-natural alternative to traditional teething rings and toys. Its three distinct chewing surfaces allow babies to self-manage their changing teething needs. The food grade ingredients are hypoallergenic and intentionally selected to meet the high standards of today's health- and eco-conscious consumers. For more information visit toofeze.com.
- Therapeutic - The cool stainless steel disk clinically reduces painful teething symptoms caused by swelling and inflammation - a tried and true remedy for teething pain.
- Convenient - Chills instantly in cold water. Perfect for out and about when a fridge isn't handy. No need to freeze your teether - or your baby's fingers!
- Ergonomic - Our soft silicone handle and stationary design make it easy for babies to control, and aids in early motor skills development.
- Sanitary - Toofeze is easily cleaned with soap and water or antibacterial wipes, and is durable enough to be boiled or run through the dishwasher as often as you like!
líllébaby COMPLETE Original Baby Carrier - Retail Price: $110.00
The future in babywearing is here! Compare the líllébaby® COMPLETE with any baby carrier and you will see why it deserves its name. COMPLETE in function, comfort, and style, this carrier grows with your family. It includes every carrying position and ensures your baby is positioned ergonomically correct in every setting. It's all about options - it's COMPLETE
Resonating the Scandinavian values of quality of life, honesty, and a love for nature's beauty, líllébaby strives to make baby products that bring this functional style to parents, anywhere. We wish parents to attain the simple luxury of keeping their baby close while building a natural bond, in perfect comfort and style. For more information visit lillebaby.com.
- Complete age range, newborn – 45lbs (no insert needed)
- All-in-one carrying (front, hip or back; baby face in, out, or in fetal position.)
- Ergonomic leg position in every setting, including when baby is facing forward.
- Seat adjusts to perfectly fit baby at every stage and enables carrying through the otherwise "baby wearing gap"
- Adjustable neck support with elastic attachments gives ideal support while allowing for movement.
- The adjustable torso is taller than most brands, giving your baby sturdier support and better posture.
- Padded side straps protect baby from webbing.
- Removable sleeping hood adjusts in length and includes elastic edging for comfortable fit. Protects from sun and wind, gives privacy and supports baby's head while sleeping.
Enter to win these must-have items for your baby!
Prize Pack includes:
Yummi Pouch little munchkin set
Pair of BabyLegs leg warmers
Set of 6 Buttons Cloth Diaper covers + 12 daytime inserts
2 Red Hens Studio Coop Carry-All Diaper Bag
L'ovedbaby 4-in-1 Nursing Shawl
L'ovedbaby Gl'oved-Sleeve Overall & Cute Cap
Kushies Zolo Linko toy
Toofeze baby teether
líllébaby COMPLETE Original Baby Carrier
Plus! 3 runner ups will receive:
Set of 6 Yummi Pouch reusable food pouches
Pair of BabyLegs leg warmers
Toofeze baby teether
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Monday, July 15, 2013
Mickey and the Beanstalk
And now, another Disney Blogger is hosting an amazing giveaway - 1 winner will win a free week in a 2 bedroom condo! Hard to pass up that, don't you think?
Sunday, July 14, 2013
Many people ask which water park is better: Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon.They both have terrific slides, tube rides, small child areas and a lazy creek to relax in. How do you choose? Both water parks have locker areas, shower/change/bathrooms, snack kiosks and a store where you can buy (at a premium) towels, sunscreen, bathing suits and beach wear. There is also a First Aid office if needed.
My personal favourite is Typhoon Lagoonfor one very simple reason – the Crush ‘N Gusher water coaster! It has one tower with 3 sets of stairs to the top to go on 3 different water coaster slides. There are inner tubes for 2 or 3 people to go on. (Must be 48” to ride) These coasters literally are a blast, you go done the first slope and high pressure water pushes you up to the next slope and on and on. I only have photos from Typhoon Lagoon so will include some here! This is a photo of the Crush 'N Gusher area.
The children’s play area at Typhoon Lagoon “Ketchakiddee Creek” and at Blizzard Beach “Tike’s Peak” both have a height limit, you must be UNDER 48” to play there. Sadly that means I have never had the opportunity to check it out either but walking by them, there is always lots of laughter to be heard.
Both water parks have the same attendance capacity but Blizzard Beach feels much larger and, as you are going to be barefoot or in swim shoes, be prepared to walk. A lot. Most of the walkways at BB have misters spraying to keep the walking surface cool. Typhoon Lagoon has no misters but a much smaller walking area.
I am not fond of the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon, the big waves knock you off your feet (every single time) and the bobbing waves make me seasick.
I do love the creeks at both parks. There are a number of entries in and out of the creek at both parks, you walk down the stairs, wait for an empty inner tube to float by, grab it and relax. There are smaller tubes for smaller children which have a plastic bottom under the ring for your small child to sit comfortably while you float. Adult supervision is now required in the creeks, I know from trips gone by that 6-10 year old kids on their own in the creek can be terrors . . .
There are lots of lifeguards on duty, say Hi, when you float by. I usually ask where they are from and if they have saved anyone recently. They almost always say they have. The creek may not be very deep but not every one has a great swim skill level and if they let go of that tube, they can be in trouble.
Both parks have family tube slides, where you all pile into a circular raft tube and go down the slide together. At either park, these rides areo s worth it. Even if there are only 2 of you, you do constitute a family. Both have 'beach' areas where there are lounging chairs, most of these get snatched up right away, I have never bothered saving one. I stuff everything into a locker and when I want to rest I go in the creek.
Blizzard Beach has a chair-lift to the top of the big slides. If there is a line, go in the single ride line. They try to fill each 3 person chair, so the single rider line goes quickly. At the top is the Slush Gusher speed slide and the Summit Plummet speed slide. Both of these have a height restriction of 48” and rightly so! Both are longer slides that go very quickly. Do not go on these in a 2 piece bathing suit unless it is really tight or you will be flashing all those lovely people waiting on the benches, right at the bottom of the slides . . . As it is, expect a grande wedgie.
I have been on the Summit Plummet once, just to say I did it. The slide is nearly vertical and it is less a slide and more of a fall! I wouldn’t go on it again- it goes by too fast to be enjoyable and whoa - the wedgie is not comfortable. They also yell at you to get out of the end of the ride as fast as possible so the next person can go, you end up doing wedgie removal out of the water (not attractive).
My only complaints about Blizzard Beach would be that it is painted and themed with a lot of white. It is a melted ski resort – this means in the middle of the day the glare of the sun on all that white can be painful. My only other complaint is that when showering afterwards there is no warm water in the showers! That might be okay in July, but not so much fun in October.
All in all, I definitely recommend both parks. I usually get there close to opening and last about 6-7 hours!
- Be prepared to be very, very tired. It is a lot of work to play in the water for that many hours.
- Bring your sunscreen! Waterproof is best and reapply often.
- Both parks have lunch counter food service.
- I like having a small waterproof hat because of sun glare, I am so classy, I shove it down the front of my bathing suit when I go on a slide.
- Remember other than whoever you are with, you will never see these people again, it really doesn't matter what they think of you.
This last photo is from 2005 when I had shaved my head for charity, I raised $1,500 for the Children's Hospital Kids Cancer Ward. Being bald on vacation is wonderful, no maintenance hairstyle indeed! I got a lot of funny looks - oh well!
|What an awesome person, don't you think?|
Thanks Jennifer for inviting me to write!
Friday, July 12, 2013
Magic Kingdom Table Service Restaurants:
- Liberty Tree Tavern
- Tony's Town Square Restaurant
- The Plaza Restaurant
- Be Our Guest Restaurant
- Crystal Palace
- Cinderella's Royal Table
|The Beast's Castle|
Be Our Guest Restaurant
|A welcoming rose napkin|
|An enchanted ceiling|
|The angel babies are actually picture of the animators and their babies!|
|Delicious French Onion Soup|
|The beast welcomed up to his dining room|
|My little man dressed as Sheriff Woody|
|The steak was perfectly cooked and the garlic stuff.. oh man!|
|Try the Grey Stuff, it's delicious!|
Plus, after a great meal, they welcome you to tour the rooms that you might have not dined in.
Tuesday, July 9, 2013
- A place for kids
- A very expensive vacation
- A place for lots of rides and burgers
A Place for Kids
A Very Expensive Vacation
|More than meets the eye at WDW|
A place for lots of rides and burgers
Dark rides are prime example
As for the burgers
|A meal at Kouzzina starts with a sampling of olive oils and olives!|